Re: MySQL 5.5 EOL before Debian 8 LTS ends

Hello!

to 3. tammik. 2019 klo 3.40 Robie Basak (robie.basak@canonical.com) kirjoitti:

> Hi Otto and the LTS team,
>
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 10:50:34AM +0200, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> > I think that is *if* makes sense to engineer some automatic upgrade path in
> > an LTS release, then it would be to introduce MariaDB 10.1 into Jessie.
>
> If this is explicitly opted in to by users then I have no objection.
>
> However since the MySQL -> MariaDB crossgrade is not easily reversible
> (MariaDB modifies the on-disk schema/format), I don't think this is a
> good idea to do automatically. Users may, on upgrade past Jessie, choose
> to continue with MySQL coming from a source that isn't Debian stable
> (eg. by using unstable, directly from upstream, or a change of
> distribution). Automatically converting their database to not-MySQL
> would make that difficult, and would be a violation of the stable
> release promise for those users. I think that affected users would quite
> rightly be upset about it.

You can always cross-migrate via logical database dumps as .sql files
instead of in-place binary files.

Anyway the big question here is does the LTS team want to go through
the hassle of doing a version upgrade in a stable release.

I've tested that the current mariadb-10.1 version in Stretch also
builds in Jessie as-is
(https://salsa.debian.org/mariadb-team/mariadb-10.1/-/jobs), but some
work should be invested into properly write gitlab-ci.yml tests and
automation to ensure there are a minimal amount of surprises if real
systems go though an upgrade. Anyway, as a first step MariaDB 10.1
should be put into jessie-backports so that those who want to opt-in
for such a move right now, could do it. Do we have any contributors
who would like to help out with this task?