Re: News: 2018-06-01-Debian-7-Long-Term-Support-reaching-end-of-life

Hi Markus,

[dropping events@d.o, adding debian-lts]

> Am 31.05.2018 um 08:08 schrieb Joost van Baal-Ilić:
> >
> > [non-public reply, feel free to quote me publicly though]
> >
> > On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 04:18:06PM +0200, Markus Koschany wrote to
> > debian-publicity@lists.debian.org, debian-l10n-english@lists.debian.org,
> > debian-i18n@lists.debian.org :
> >>
> >> the LTS team would like to announce the end of Wheezy LTS. Unfortunately
> >> I have no rights to push to the announcements repository on
> >> salsa.debian.org but you can find my draft at
> >>
> >> https://people.debian.org/~apo/2018-06-01-Debian-7-Long-Term-Support-reaching-end-of-life.wml
> >>

> > Thanks for your contribution.  Imho it would be even better if freexian.com
> > would not be mentioned in the announcement: afaik there's no formal
> > endorsement of Debian for Freexian.  (I'd like to add freexian does great
> > work, btw!)
> >
> > Something like
> >
> > "A subset of Wheezy packages might be supported by some external parties.
> > Refer to https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/ for more information."
> >
> > would be better.
>
> This also came up on debian-lts [1]. Perhaps we should better
> communicate that Extended LTS will benefit all Debian users? At any rate
> it is certain that ELTS will happen now. I think we would rather prefer
> a straight forward sentence like the current
>
> A subset of Wheezy packages will be supported by Freexian though.
> Detailed information can be found at <a
> href="https://deb.freexian.com/extended-lts";>Extended LTS</a>.

Now that I've read that webpage stuff is more clear to me.

> I could change the first sentence to "A subset of Wheezy packages will
> be supported by external parties though. They will be made available for
> all Debian users."
>
> IMO if we change the other sentence to "Refer to
> https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/ for more information." we just create one
> more diversion but the fact remains the same, ELTS is managed by
> Freexian. I don't have a strong opinion though. I could live with either
> way.

> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts/2018/05/msg00074.html

I don't think we ever before suggested our users to use services supplied by
external companies in our general public announcements.  I am not yet sure
what's the wisest thing to do here.  Referring to the wiki feels more safe.
Maybe anybody else has some insights to share?  Time is running out and I can't
invest much more time in this now...  :(

Thanks for your reply,  Bye,

Joost