Re: Better communication about spectre/meltdown

On Sat, 2018-03-03 at 11:07 -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 03, 2018 at 03:22:14PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >
> > I think that backporting gcc-4.9 and building the kernel with it (for
> > x86) is lower risk than backporting the retpoline patches to gcc-4.7
> > and building the kernel with that.  (In fact it's not just the kernel;
> > if you change gcc-4.7 that has the potential to affect most updates to
> > wheezy, even though use of retpoline should be disabled by defaul.)
> >

> Thanks for clarifying.
>
> I will work on backporting your patched gcc-4.9 to wheezy. Should I also
> start working on getting the wheezy kernel building with gcc-4.9?  I
> understand that an upload must wait for the kernel microde update you
> mentioned previously.

I can handle the kernel changes.  I've pushed a new branch
(wheezy-security-retpoline) to
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/

This builds with gcc-4.9 from jessie.  However it doesn't (yet)
actually enable use of retpoline.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
[W]e found...that it wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had