Re: Better communication about spectre/meltdown

On Thu, 2018-03-01 at 07:56 -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 11:06:03PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >
> > It will almost certainly build correctly with 4.9 on x86.  AIUI the
> > Spectre mitigations in gcc are x86-specific, so there's no value in
> > changing it for ARM and there would be a risk of exceeding code size
> > limits on armel.  The kernel package already has provision for using
> > different compiler versions per-architecture.
> >

> So, I have let this issue alone for several days but there does not
> appear to be much discussion, or even a consensus. I would really like
> some definitive guidance (especially from people who know the kernel
> better than I).
>
> As I do not know what would be involved in a gcc 4.9 backport or how
> complex it would be, my intent to is to do the following: attempt to get
> the wheezy kernel building in a jessie chroot with gcc-4.9 and, if that
> succeeds, investigate the feasibility of building a gcc 4.9 backport for
> wheezy. If that works, I envision there would be two advisories arising
> from it:
>
>  - a DLA for the new gcc-4.9 backport
>  - a DLA for an updated amd64 (and i386?) kernel build with gcc 4.9

The latter should not be done until I have also applied the Spectre v2
mitigations in assembly code.

> Of course, if this looks like it would be substantially more complex, I
> will again ask for guidance, but the likely course at that point seems
> to implement the necessary option parsing in gcc 4.6.
>
> I suppose another possibility would be to backport the patches to gcc
> 4.7 instead of 4.6 and switch the kernel build to gcc 4.7. Would that be
> considered to introduce less risk than bringing gcc 4.9 into wheezy at
> this stage?

Unless you're experienced in gcc development, I would guess that using
the existing patches for gcc 4.9 is lower risk.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
[W]e found...that it wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had