Re: tiff / CVE-2018-18661

Hi Brian

Interesting. I wonder what the fix do differently in this case. It is a little worrying that it exit with a zero return code, but maybe not major. On the other hand, if we cannot reproduce the problem maybe it is not worth patching... Hmm.

// Ola

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 at 07:24, Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:
Ola Lundqvist <ola@inguza.com> writes:

> Hi Brian
>
> To me it looks like you have been able to reproduce the problem. You
> clearly get different results with and without the patch indicating
> that you have in fact triggered the problem. I do not see that you
> have run the program using a debugger, so are you sure that you did
> not end up in a crash?

Looks like it it exiting normally to me:

(jessie-amd64-default)root@silverfish:/tmp/brian/tmph6ow42nt/build/amd64# gdb tiff2bw
GNU gdb (Debian 7.7.1+dfsg-5) 7.7.1
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from tiff2bw...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) set args /tmp/poc /dev/null
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/bin/tiff2bw /tmp/poc /dev/null
TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, Unknown field with tag 292 (0x124) encountered.
LZWDecode: Not enough data at scanline 0 (short 6442004472 bytes).
TIFFWriteDirectoryTagData: IO error writing tag data.
[Inferior 1 (process 31103) exited normally]
(gdb)
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>

/  ola@inguza.com                    Folkebogatan 26            \
|  opal@debian.org                   654 68 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /