Re: Removal of 'arm64' from debian-security repo breaks community projects

Hello,

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018, Markus Koschany wrote:
> at the moment we only support four architectures, amd64, i386, armel and
> armhf because these are the ones which were requested by users and
> sponsors of Debian's Long Term support project. I believe we would all
> love to support even more architectures in the future but this mostly
> depends on demand. Ideally this should have been discussed before the
> Jessie LTS cycle started.

Definitely. The addition of armel/armhf in wheezy was based on the demand
of Plat'Home who has been a gold sponsor for 26 months.

https://www.plathome.com/

Nobody requested the addition of arm64 so far, so this did not happen.

It's too late for Debian Jessie, at least I will not ask myself the other
Debian teams if we can re-add arm64 at this point. If someone else wants
to try this out, fine, I have no objection to include arm64 support in
Debian Jessie LTS. It certainly makes sense to support this platform
in the future.

I have updated the wiki page to make it clear that we want to consider
supporting arm64 in Debian Stretch LTS.
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

In any case, it would be really nice to have Linaro as LTS sponsors,
you would thus be more involved in all the decision-making and you would
have had an opportunity to request arm64 support earlier.

See https://www.freexian.com/services/debian-lts.html for details.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer