Re: Better communication about spectre/meltdown

Hi

I waited some as I did not think I had any additional information to
contribute with. But I realize that I can gather some data and start
to compile a page for others to start with.

As I said in the other mail thread I have created a first page here:
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Wheezy/SpectreMeltdown

I will not update this page further today. I'll get back to this to
see if someone else have done something tomorrow, or early next week.

Best regards

// Ola

On 15 February 2018 at 12:33, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2018, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> I have had enquiries of LTS sponsors about the status of spectre/meltdown
>> mitigations in Debian. I tried to answer but even for me as an insider who
>> knows the ins and outs of Debian rather well, it's really difficult for me
>> to be able to answer.
>>
>> IMO we should really try to maintain a page like most vendors are doing.
>> Here's what ubuntu did:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/KnowledgeBase/SpectreAndMeltdown
>>
>> Can we get something similar done for Debian?
>
> No answer so far. Maybe someone should just go ahead and try to create
> something like this, asking the relevant persons for the required data.
>
>> Who is in charge of backporting the retpoline patches to our old gcc
>> versions?
>
> On IRC I learned that Moritz Muehlenhoff (jmm) started the work of
> bakcporting retpoline to gcc-4.9 for jessie. We need to do the same
> for gcc-4.6 (and maybe gcc-4.7) in wheezy. gcc-4.6 is used for the
> kernel build so that's the important target really.
>
> I have added items to dla-needed.txt so that someone takes care of this.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer
>
> Support Debian LTS: https://www.freexian.com/services/debian-lts.html
> Learn to master Debian: https://debian-handbook.info/get/

/  ola@inguza.com                    Folkebogatan 26            \
|  opal@debian.org                   654 68 KARLSTAD            |
|  http://inguza.com/                Mobile: +46 (0)70-332 1551 |
\  gpg/f.p.: 7090 A92B 18FE 7994 0C36 4FE4 18A1 B1CF 0FE5 3DD9  /