Re: Tools for testing LTS updates

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 03:06:31PM -0500, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> On 2017-01-23 20:46:28, Guido Günther wrote:

> >> it's probably sufficient to only create that clean VM once every week or
> >> month and then preserve that as a "snapshot" image and run triggered CI
> >> tests based on a copy of that image…
> >
> > I'm probably stating the obvios but it can be done with:
> >
> > SNAPSHOT=wheezy-2017-01-13
> > IP=192.168.122.17
> >
> > PKG=$(dpkg-parsechangelog -Ssource)
> > VERSION=$(dpkg-parsechangelog -SVersion)
> >
> > set -x
> > set -e
> >
> > virsh destroy autopkgtest || true
> > virsh snapshot-revert autopkgtest $SNAPSHOT
> > virsh start autopkgtest
> > autopkgtest -B ../*_${VERSION}_*.deb ../${PKG}_${VERSION}.dsc -- ssh -H $IP -P<rootpw>
> >
> > (in case running inside pbuilder is not sufficient (eg. because it needs
> > daemons running, etc.). Not very elaborate but does the job.
>
> this is exactly the kind of stuff that should be documented, because
> that's not obvious to me at all.
>
> there are so many virtualizations solutions out there, I don't even
> think i can guess what that one is: virsh is just libvirt, right? so is
> that xen, kvm, virtualbox or qemu or what? in any case, isn't there some
> setup to be done first there?

I'm using a qemu VM bootstrapped via

    http://honk.sigxcpu.org/con/Preseeding_Debian_virtual_machines_with_virt_install.html

Note that there's also autopkgtest-virt-qemu but since it doesn't use
libvirt I'd have to handle it differently so I'm using the above.

> On 2017-01-23 20:42:35, Guido Günther wrote:
> > I'm using
> >
> > /usr/share/doc/pbuilder/examples/B20autopkgtest
> >
> > to run the tests within pbuilder (that does not help with reverse
> > dependencies testing).
>
> i'm lazy - how do you actually hook that up in pbuilder?

See HOOKDIR in "man pbuilderrc"
Cheers,
 -- Guido