Re: boot problem after updating dropbear [solved -- MANUAL initrd works required]

On Tue, 2016-09-27 at 00:56 +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Okay, it turns out that the only files that were missing were ones that
> I had in the /etc/initramfs-tools/root/ directory.
>

> The only files in the faulty initrd image were from the
> /etc/initramfs-tools/root/.ssh/ directory, so missing .profile and other
> required files.
>

> I modified the initrd to include those missing files and everything is
> functional again.
>
>  - extract initrd
>  - add files
>  - rebuild initrd
>
>  - replace /boot/initrd file with my new one.
>
> So, it seems that "update-initramfs -u -k all" only missed those extra
> custom files placed in the /etc/initramfs-tools/root/ directory.

There's nothing in initramfs-tools that refers to that directory, and
no general provision for including extra files.  Any extra files, aside
from kernel modules, have to be explicitly added by a hook script.

> There was not anything particularly special in the .profile, except for
> the useful aliases -- however, those aliases /may/ have helped the /init
> script find required binaries to boot properly.

No, those aliases should have no effect on /init.

> I cannot seem to find any reason why those files were included properly
> before, but not now (without manual intervention).
[...]

I would guess that you previously modified
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/dropbear and the upgrade overwrote
your changes.  That would not be a bug since it's not a configuration
file.

You'll need to write a *separate* hook script that installs the extra
files.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of