Re: Security support for libav in Debian Wheezy

Sorry, I'm afraid I maintained too much radio silence..

On 2016-07-23 19:08, Markus Koschany wrote:
I am contacting you on behalf of the Debian LTS team. Two months ago you
voiced your interest in helping us to fix open security issues in libav.

https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/libav

Can you tell us more about the latest developments? If you have any
questions regarding Debian LTS work, please send them to the debian-lts
list and I will try to answer them in a timely manner.

I got sidetracked by other work and by trying to get access to the Google ClusterFuzz samples[1]. I have access to a bunch of them now, but not the whole lot and it turns out that I don't necessarily need them in each and every case to port fixes. So yeah, that was a bit of a wild goose chase :-/

In any case I have the first set of three patches[2] queued up for pushing to the 0.8 branch. I've sent them to the libav-devel mailing list to give other devs a chance to react. I expect nobody to care about stale branches, however. Thus the ETA for the patches to hit the 0.8 branch is tomorrow evening CET or the next morning at the latest.

I hope and expect to churn out a steady trickle of 1-3 backports per week going forward while not on vacation now that I have all the pieces for working with those old branches back in place.

best regards, Diego

[1] Things with names like "0231a17345734228011c6f35a64e4594/asan_heap-oob_1d92a72_3218_1213809a9e3affec77e4c191fdfdc0a9.mov" that go along references to Mateusz "j00ru" Jurczyk and Gynvael Coldwind.

[2] One backport from the Debian package, CVE-2015-1872, CVE-2015-5479.