Re: Accepted libuser 1:0.56.9.dfsg.1-1.2+deb7u1 (source amd64) into oldstable

Hi Markus,

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 08:31:46PM +0200, Markus Koschany wrote:
> > do you plan to also fix it in unstable? (and jessie…?)
> Yes, I intend to lend the Security Team a hand with a stable update as
> usual.

cool! :)

> Moreover I tested the new version by using the public exploit for this
> issue, I also executed and investigated upstream's test suite and used
> the usermode package to create, delete and modify user accounts. All in
> all this made my confident enough to release this fix ASAP.

cool!

> I would recommend to upgrade to the latest upstream release in unstable.

me too.

I was even thinking about doing so with an NMU but then I looked at the
upstream changes and they now also support python3, so updating the
package for 0.62 is not completly trivial.

https://fedorahosted.org/libuser/browser/NEWS?rev=libuser-0.62

> But given that the package is unmaintained and basically abandoned I
> would remove it from Debian rather sooner than later and it seems the
> Security Team agrees.
> https://bugs.debian.org/818238

that bug misses on important bit: mock uses usermode, so removal of
libuser would also result in removal of mock, which would be very
unfortunate.

--
cheers,
	Holger