Re: Unsupported packages for Wheezy LTS

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Markus Koschany wrote:
> Matthias Klose, the OpenJDK maintainer, stated that he intends to
> support OpenJDK 6 until Ubuntu 12.04 reaches EOL in April 2017 [1] and I
> think it should be feasible to mirror this approach for Wheezy LTS
> provided everyone agrees to keep OpenJDK 6 supported until then.

I have no objection but I also don't see the point of supporting
something only half of the LTS period.

> We discussed the switch to OpenJDK 7 last month [2] and I think the
> problematic packages are only those that strictly depend on
> openjdk-6-jre like tunnelx and rcran-r-java. Everything else that
> declares an alternative dependency on java6-runtime or default-jre
> should be fine because OpenJDK 7 provides these dependencies.

I suggest that we can already fix those, possibly via
wheezy-proposed-updates so that they are fixed before the last
wheezy point release.

> In addition I would also suggest to add Tomcat 6 to the list of
> unsupported packages when it is declared EOL on December 31, 2016 [3]
> and recommend the switch to Tomcat 7.

OK. Then we should probably have some "Wheezy LTS release notes" where we
can add some recommendations like "Use Tomcat 7 if you want security
support until the end of Wheezy LTS because Tomcat 6 will be EOL on
2016-12-31."

We could then also document the situation of OpenJDK 6.

And we should also fix debian-security-support to be able to document well
in advance that some packages won't be supported past a given date...
right now I don't think that the software takes the EOL date into account.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer