Re: Unsupported packages for Wheezy LTS

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
> Another package which needs to be sorted out is the support for
> Java. wheezy has both openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 (jessie has only
> -7 and stretch will also only have one version).

I asked our current sponsors about OpenJDK 6 and none asked
us to keep supporting it. They are satisfied with having only
OpenJDK 7 supported in wheezy.

> sense to only support openjdk-7 in Debian LTS. Some rdeps in
> wheezy will not allow that, but I think most people use openjdk
> to run external java apps and not the Java apps packaged in
> Debian (with maybe Tomcat as the exception).

Yes, we need to investigate that. I just stumbled on a few packages
with "openjdk-6-jre | java6-runtime" in their dependencies (like
"entagged" or "389-console").

A complete list should be made to see the impact and decide what should
happen to those packages...

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer