Re: Further Review Of MySQL 5.5 Packages [1]

On Wed, 09 Dec 2015, Santiago Ruano Rincón wrote:
> https://titanpad.com/zPncgYnP05

I made a few changes.

> This DLA includes information about the already uploaded packages to
> solve incompatibility issues.
>
> I've realised that the -upgrade package would install the mysql-server,
> even if the user only needs the client. I have created an additional
> package, currently being built.

I saw the suggestion of Scott but I'm really not convinced it's a good idea
to introduce those upgrade helper packages...

What's wrong with "apt-get install mysql-server-5.5" ?

Those intermediary packages will be manually installed and might cause
troubles in future upgrades... even if the description invites users to
uninstall them. I would prefer if the instructions we gave invited users
to install just the packages that they need.

We really mostly care about vulnerabilities in the server and as such
we must recommend users to upgrade the server, if they keep using the
old client it's not a big deal IMO.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer