Re: cacti, mysql-5.5 and squeeze-lts

Hi Santiago
[Dropping Mahyuddin from CC as promised]

On 30-11-15 10:11, Santiago Ruano Rincón wrote:
> Well, I have installed cacti from the attached debdiff and available at
> my personal repo [1].

I think there are some spurious changes that you included this way. I.e.
adding new fields to the database, that isn't needed (and shouldn't be
added because it may impact future upgrades to newer cacti versions) for
this lts fix.

> I have used both mysql-5.1 and mysql-5.5 and it
> seems to work well.

So you confirm that the new ENGINE syntax is already supported in mysql-5.1?

> I have also tested upgrading from 5.1 to 5.5, but
> AFAIU, the error is related to table creation.

Is that with the old cacti, or with your patched cacti? Could you share
the error here?

> Is there any reason why cacti needs the MyISAM engine? I suppose that if
> you don't declare it, mysql will use the default engine.

The honest answer is, I don't know. I can't oversee the implications of
not setting it and using the default, whatever that is. One thing I
could come up with is that some engines support transactions and others
don't. Not sure which one is which and if cacti needs them. The other
packages that you need to update may use transactions, so they can't
rely on the default being correct I guess, and for sure some used an
other engine than MyISAM.

Paul