Re: cacti, mysql-5.5 and squeeze-lts

Hi Santiago,

On 27-11-15 08:53, Santiago Ruano Rincón wrote:
> Paul, you have suggested the changes to be made on cacti to make it
> compatible with mysql-5.5. Paul or Mahyuddin, would you like to provide
> a package with those changes for squeeze-lts? If that is not the case, I
> could take care of it.

I would appreciate it when you can do the investigation to come to a
proper solution as you probably have a working setup with both version
installed and I really think this is too much work for me right now.
Once you have defined the solution, I can do the uploading of my own
packages. The problem here: I don't know the details of the change in
MySQL regarding TYPE= vs ENGINE=, but I would expect that packages
probably still need or want to declare the db engine type.

If this is true than the solution is going to be rather involved as the
packages probably need some intelligence to detect which version of
MySQL is running (on the server side) before it knows which command to
call. For cacti, this is fully delegated to dbconfig-common (of which I
am now the maintainer and upstream as well). As said, I don't see how to
do this trivially, as you have to detect what version is on the MySQL
server, i.e. not necessarily on the host where you are installing the
package. Now that I think about it, this is probably something that
needs fixing in dbconfig-common anyways and as it was never reported an
issue it probably means that hardly anybody is actually using the
functionality from dbconfig-common to use packages this way (or they fix
it manually and don't bother to report the issue).

If declaring the engine is really not needed, the fix is trivial and I
will update cacti. If declaring the engine is needed, I ask you to
figure out how dbconfig-common should be patched to allow this detection
as it is not my priority to fix this now. After that I will updated both
dbconfig-common and cacti.

Paul
P.s. I will drop Mayuddin from my next response if he doesn't answer,
because I haven't heard from since I took over maintenance of cacti.