Re: squeeze update of firestarter

On 11/04/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/04/2015, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
>> Hello dear maintainer(s),
>>
>> the Debian LTS team would like to fix the security issues which are
>> currently open in the Squeeze version of <various packages>
>
> Hello, LTS people.
>
> I am wondering whether such intended review and maintenance, also
> applies to firestarter.
>
> I believe that firestarter was abandoned by its
> devleopers/maintainers, when it was still in Debian 5, and
>
> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=firestarter&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
>
> shows
>
> "
> You have searched for packages that names contain firestarter in all
> suites, all sections, and all architectures. Found 1 matching
> packages.
>
> Exact hits
>
> Package firestarter
> squeeze (oldstable) (admin): gtk program for managing and observing
> your firewall
> 1.0.3-8: amd64 armel i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips
> mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
> wheezy (stable) (admin): GTK program for managing and observing your
> firewall
> 1.0.3-11: amd64 armel armhf i386 ia64 mips mipsel powerpc s390 s390x sparc
> sid (unstable) (admin): GTK program for managing and observing your
> firewall
> 1.0.3-11 [debports]: m68k
> "
>
> So it seems to be something to which "security issues" would likely be
> applicable, for Debian 6 LTS, and for Debian 7, and, thus suggests
> that review and maintenance of firestarter, would be an appropriate
> activity for the LTS project, in the absence of otherwise review and
> maintenace of firestarter.

I note that the status of firestarter, appears complicated.

>From the above, firestarter appears to be present, apart from in
Debian 6 and Debian 7, also in "unstable", but, only for the m68k
paltform.

Is the m68k platform, still supported in Debian?

The package is not shown as being available for the m68k platform, in
either Debian 6 or Debian 7, yet is shown as being available for the
m68k platform, in "unstable".

I note that the web page at
https://packages.qa.debian.org/f/firestarter.html
that has

"
Debian Package Tracking System - Copyright © 2002-2014 Raphaël
Hertzog, Stefano Zacchiroli and others.
"

and

"
This package is neither part of unstable nor experimental. This
probably means that the package has been removed (or has been
renamed). Thus the information here is of little interest ... the
package is going to disappear unless someone takes it over and
reintroduces it into unstable.
"

and

"
[2013-06-08] firestarter REMOVED from testing (Britney)
[2013-06-08] Removed 1.0.3-10 from unstable (Ansgar Burchardt)
[2013-06-08] Removed 1.0.3-10 from unstable (Ansgar Burchardt)
[2012-05-27] firestarter 1.0.3-11 MIGRATED to testing (Britney)
[2012-05-16] Accepted 1.0.3-11 in unstable (low) (Paul Cupis)
[2012-05-13] firestarter 1.0.3-10.1 MIGRATED to testing (Britney)
[2012-05-02] Accepted 1.0.3-10.1 in unstable (low) (Robert Millan)
[2011-03-10] firestarter 1.0.3-10 MIGRATED to testing (Britney)
"

Whilst the package has apparently been abandoned, in terms of
development and maintenance, it is nevertheless, apparently, present
and available in the Debian package repositories, for both Debian 6
LTS and Debian 7, and, as it is therefore, available for use as a
firewall application, for both Debian 6 LTS and Debian 7, it appears
reasonable, to me, that it should be being reviewed and maintained, at
least regarding any possible security issues, especially, given that
the purpose of the package, is system security.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."