Re: Any ideas on possibility of wheezy-lts?

Hi,

On Wed, 01 Apr 2015, Jeremy Davis wrote:
> My suspicion is that gaining further support may be easier if you do a
> bit of a rally call now (rather than waiting until Wheezy EOL). I think
> it's worth letting people know that Wheezy-LTS is a realistic
> possibility but needs more support (financial and otherwise) to "lock it
> in". You may be able to catch the attention of people that are waiting
> for the Jessie release to start their "must upgrade within 12mths"
> stopwatch...
>
> Perhaps doing a bit of an overall "Squeeze-LTS Evaluation" pointing out
> highs and lows and possibilities for the future might be of value? You
> might be able to get a bit of media attention around it to rasie the
> profile and get more backers onboard...?

That's a pretty good idea. We could do a press release giving some data
point of where we are, and also telling companies that Wheezy/Jessie LTS will
happen and that the set of supported packages will likely be discussed
during Debconf (and invite interested parties to join us at DebConf).

We could then explain that the set of supported packages will depend
of commitments made by companies both in terms of human resources and
of financial backing, so if they want good coverage of high profile
packages over 5 years, they should start supporting LTS now.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer