Re: [debian-lts] file package

Hello Christoph,

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> Nguyen Cong wrote...
>
> > I would like to send the debdiff file for file package.
> > Could any one please review it and give me some comments.
>
> NACK. This does not fix the issue or introduces a new one.

Can we please avoid "NACK" and use full sentences that convey the proper
respect that people deserve when they try to contribute?

NACK is just rude. Furthermore it would be nice to explain in what way
the suggested patch introduces a new issue (I did not look into it, but
it's always good to back such claims with verifiable details).

> An updated file package for squeeze has already been prepared here and
> just awaits the fix in wheezy by the stable security team.

Define "here".

Also there's no need to wait until wheezy is fixed to release a
fix in squeeze-lts. So if it's ready, please go ahead.

> For the records, I cannot see an attempt to contact me beforehand
> about this.

For the records, I don't see your name in
https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/secure-testing/data/dla-needed.txt?view=markup
which is where we indicate that we plan to take care of applying
the relevant security fixes of a given package to squeeze-lts.

It's always nice when maintainers want to join the LTS effort, but
most maintainers are not interested in taking care of their packages in
squeeze-lts so it's quite common to release LTS updates without any
coordination with the maintainer.

Maybe we should discuss this and change our workflow to fix this,
it's possible. But right now, Nguen doesn't deserve the blame when
he is just trying to follow the instructions we have put here:
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Development

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer