Perceived problem with LTS update procedure

On Tue, 27 May 2014, Steven Chamberlain wrote:

On 27/05/14 17:23, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
On 16:43, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
You need to enable the apt sources for squeeze-lts manually.
Information on how to do this can be found at
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Development#Add_squeeze-lts_to_your_sources.list

This didn't seem to work for me, or I missed something obvious?  Tried
to do this on squeeze amd64.

apt-get update fetched only the Sources and Releases{,.gpg} files [...]

Sorry... I'd made a very silly mistake, and added two deb-src lines to
my sources.list (instead of one deb and one deb-src).  The repository is
working fine.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org

Hello.

I followed the procedure specified at
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Development#Add_squeeze-lts_to_your_sources.list ;

"
Using squeeze-lts

Add squeeze-lts to your sources.list
Important: Squeeze-LTS will only support i386 and amd64. Users of other architectures are encouraged to upgrade to Debian 7 ("wheezy").

for binary packeges add this line: deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze-lts main for source package add this line: deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze-lts main Of course you can optionally add other archive area as contrib or non-free after the main archive area.

for binary packeges add this line: deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze-lts main contrib non-free for source package add this line: deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze-lts main contrib non-free

Update and upgrade
Run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade to update and upgrade your system
"

I am running Debian 6 amd64 on this computer.

When I ran apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade (I usual use the update applet in the taskbar, to check for updates, and then I up[date the system, using that procedure, rather than apt-get), I got the following output, leading me to believe that it appears to have not worked.

"
:~# apt-get update
Get:1 http://ftp.au.debian.org squeeze-updates Release.gpg [836 B]
Ign http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-en
Ign http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-en_AU
Get:2 http://ftp.au.debian.org squeeze-updates Release [113 kB]
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org squeeze-updates/main amd64 Packages/DiffIndex Get:3 http://ftp.au.debian.org squeeze-updates/main amd64 Packages [5,375 B]
Get:4 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release.gpg [836 B]
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en_AU
Hit http://deb.opera.com stable Release.gpg
Ign http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable/non-free Translation-en
Ign http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable/non-free Translation-en_AU
Get:5 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release [86.9 kB]
Hit http://deb.opera.com stable Release
Ign http://deb.opera.com stable/non-free amd64 Packages
Hit http://deb.opera.com stable/non-free amd64 Packages
Get:6 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages [367 kB]
Hit http://http.us.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg
Ign http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib Translation-en
Ign http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib Translation-en_AU
Ign http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en
Ign http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en_AU
Ign http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/non-free Translation-en
Ign http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/non-free Translation-en_AU
Ign http://http.us.debian.org squeeze/updates Release.gpg
Get:7 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts Release.gpg [836 B]
Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/contrib Translation-en
Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/contrib Translation-en_AU
Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/main Translation-en
Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/main Translation-en_AU
Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/non-free Translation-en
Ign http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-lts/non-free Translation-en_AU
Hit http://http.us.debian.org squeeze Release
Get:8 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts Release [28.7 kB]
Ign http://http.us.debian.org squeeze/updates Release
Hit http://http.us.debian.org squeeze/contrib amd64 Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org squeeze/non-free amd64 Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org squeeze/main amd64 Packages
Ign http://http.us.debian.org squeeze/updates/main Sources
Get:9 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts/main Sources [1,094 B]
Err http://http.us.debian.org squeeze/updates/main Sources
  404  Not Found [IP: 128.61.240.89 80]
Get:10 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts/contrib Sources [14 B]
Get:11 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts/non-free Sources [14 B]
Get:12 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts/main amd64 Packages [1,175 B] Get:13 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts/contrib amd64 Packages [14 B] Get:14 http://ftp.de.debian.org squeeze-lts/non-free amd64 Packages [14 B]
Fetched 607 kB in 7s (79.4 kB/s)
N: Ignoring file 'opera.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension W: Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/updates/main/source/Sources.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 128.61.240.89 80]

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
"

"
:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
N: Ignoring file 'opera.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
"

Am I correct in my perception that it did not work?

I have not yet tried to install the debian-security-support package, as I assume that it is in the LTS repository, rather than the current Debian 6 repository, and I do not know whether my attempt to access the LTS repository, has worked.

Thank you in anticipation, for constructive assistance.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."