Re: Draft of announcement for Debian LTS

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 11:54:06AM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> please review and comment on attached draft (especially those among you who
> are native speakers in English). I'm planning to send it on Sunday.

To debian-security-announce and debian-announce?

> Anything I'm missing in the annoucement?

A note about what will happen to backports (see my other post) would
make sense.

> I'd like to finalise the list of unsupported packages before than and upload
> a new version of debian-security-support. As per the comments so far only
> the status of ffmpeg and drupal6 is unclear. Please comment.
>
> Any objections to shutting down the enyo.de list not that we have the
> lists.debian.org one in place?

None here.

> Hi,
> the initial organisation and setup of Squeeze LTS has now happened and it is ready
> for taking over security support once the standard security support ends at the
> end of May. Here's the important information as announced earlier:
>

> Information for users
> updates for squeeze-lts:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts-announce/
>
> A few packages are not covered by the Squeeze LTS support. These can be
> detected with the new tool debian-security-support. Information on how
> to run it can be found here:
> https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Development#Check_for_unsupported_packages

Should this user info be added to

https://www.debian.org/security/

instead of the wiki?

> If debian-security-support detects an unsupported package which is critical
> to you, please get in touch with debian-lts@lists.debian.org (seee below).
>

> Information for Debian maintainers
> ==================================
>
> First of all, Debian package maintainers are not expected to work on updates of
> their packages for squeeze-lts. If you _are_ interested in doing so, you're
> certainly welcome to do so; everyone in the Debian.org and Debian maintainers
> key ring can upload to the squeeze-lts suite. Information on how to upload
> a fixed package can be found at
> https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Development#Upload_Packages

It's probably worth making explicit in the introduction who *will* be
working on the updates if not package maintainers (ie that there is an
LTS team). Otherwise this section could seem a bit negative from the
user's point of view.

> Mailing list
>
> Please subscribe or follow us via GMANE (gmane.linux.debian.devel.lts)
>
> Aside from the debian-lts-announce list, there's also a list for following all
> uploads in debian-lts (https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts-changes/).
>

> Security Tracker
> ================
>
> All information on security in Debian is tracked through the Debian Security Tracker
> (http://security-tracker.debian.org).

This sentence looks like a previous edit that's no longer needed?

> All information on the status of vulnerabilities
> (e.g. if the version in squeeze-lts happens to be unaffected while wheezy is affected)
> will be tracked in the Debian Security Tracker.

(add link)

> If you happen to spot an error in
> the data, please see https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/data/report

No comments on the English, which seems fine.

Cheers,
Dominic.