Re: Packages not supportable in squeeze-lts

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 10:44:39AM +0200, Christoph Biedl wrote:
> Matt Palmer wrote...
>
> > My
> > use-case for LTS, at the very least, is more about keeping existing machines
> > running and secure, rather than continuing to deploy squeeze machines onto
> > new generations of hardware.
>
> Agreed. You get a 2010 Linux, it might run on 2015-ish hardware but
> don't hold your breath.

Indeed.

> Now I'm curious about the sites that have huge installations and
> reported interest in squeeze-lts: How does your hardware setup look
> like? Do you still deploy new boxes with that old Debian installed? Or
> has everything been virtualized so newer kernels are not required, at
> least not for hardware support?

The vast majority of the machines are virtual, and so hardware support isn't
even close to an issue.  For the rest, they're running on squeeze-era
hardware, for which we keep sufficient spares and/or support contracts on
hand to be sure the hardware's going to remain available.  If the worst came
to the worst, we'd P2V a physical machine rather than try to wedge squeeze
onto current generation hardware.  Usually, well before we got that far, the
customer would have upgraded to a new machine (with an up-to-date OS)
anyway.  We're yet to have to crash-P2V a customer because we couldn't keep
their hardware running (touch wood).

- Matt