Re: Report about the work of contributors paid by Freexian

Hi,

some updates:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>      * Holger Levsen: [48]July / [49]August
>   49. http://layer-acht.org/thinking/blog/20140819-lts-august-2014/

This moved to
http://layer-acht.org/thinking/blog/20140909-lts-august-2014/ since I
posted the article...

>    To have an idea of the relative importance of the contributions of the
>    paid developers, I counted the number of uploads made by Thorsten and
>    Holger since July: of 40 updates, they took care of 19 of them, so
>    about the half.
>
>    I also looked at the other contributors: Raphaël Geissert stands out
>    with 9 updates (I believe that he is contracted by Électricité de
>    France for doing this) and most of the other contributors look like
>    regular Debian maintainers taking care of their own packages (Paul
>    Gevers with cacti, Christoph Berg with postgresql, Peter Palfrader with
>    tor, Didier Raboud with cups, Kurt Roeckx with openssl, Balint Reczey
>    with wireshark) except Matt Palmer and Luciano Bello who (likely) are
>    benevolent members of the LTS team.

Just for the record, this analysis omits the month of june during which
several other persons/companies not listed in the above paragraph
contributed: Univention (through Moritz Muehlenhoff), Salvatore
Bonaccorso, gregor herrmann, Thijs Kinkhorst, Michael Vogt.

See https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts-changes/2014/06/threads.html

>     2. Quite a few companies that promised help (and got mentioned in the
>        [52]press release) have not delivered the promised help yet
>        (neither through Freexian nor directly).

This was not meant to put shame on anybody. On the contrary, we should
questions ourselves why that is the case and whether we can do something
to fix this.

It's also worth noting that it was the summer (with their vacation) for
many and that it's not necessarily easy to provide help when the company
already runs with less people than usual.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/