Report about the work of contributors paid by Freexian

Hello,

as you probably know Freexian has been paying some Debian contributors to work
on Debian LTS (thanks to the support of multiple sponsors). As part of
the transparency rules we setup, there's a requirement to report back
regularly of how the money has been spent. The first report got published:
http://raphaelhertzog.com/2014/09/10/freexians-first-report-about-debian-long-term-support/

Here's a lynx -dump of the article for your convenience:

	Freexian’s first report about Debian Long Term Support

   September 10, 2014 by Raphaël Hertzog

   When we setup [44]Freexian’s offer to bring together funding from
   multiple companies in order to sponsor the work of multiple developers
   on [45]Debian LTS, one of the rules that I imposed is that all paid
   contributors must provide a public monthly report of their paid work.

   While the LTS project officially started in June, the first month where
   contributors were actually paid has been July. Freexian sponsored
   Thorsten Alteholz and Holger Levsen for 10.5 hours each in July and for
   16.5 hours each in August. Here are their reports:
     * Thorsten Alteholz: [46]July / [47]August
     * Holger Levsen: [48]July / [49]August

   It’s worth noting that Freexian sponsored Holger’s work to fix the
   security tracker to support squeeze-lts. It’s my belief that using the
   money of our sponsors to make it easier for everybody to contribute to
   Debian LTS is money well spent.

   As evidenced by the progress bar on [50]Freexian’s offer page, we have
   not yet reached our minimal goal of funding the equivalent of a
   half-time position. And it shows in the results, the [51]dla-needed.txt
   still shows around 30 open issues. This is slightly better than the
   state two months ago but we can improve a lot on the average time to
   push out a security update…

   To have an idea of the relative importance of the contributions of the
   paid developers, I counted the number of uploads made by Thorsten and
   Holger since July: of 40 updates, they took care of 19 of them, so
   about the half.

   I also looked at the other contributors: Raphaël Geissert stands out
   with 9 updates (I believe that he is contracted by Électricité de
   France for doing this) and most of the other contributors look like
   regular Debian maintainers taking care of their own packages (Paul
   Gevers with cacti, Christoph Berg with postgresql, Peter Palfrader with
   tor, Didier Raboud with cups, Kurt Roeckx with openssl, Balint Reczey
   with wireshark) except Matt Palmer and Luciano Bello who (likely) are
   benevolent members of the LTS team.

   There are multiple things to learn here:
    1. Paid contributors already handle almost 70% of the updates.
       Counting only on volunteers would not have worked.
    2. Quite a few companies that promised help (and got mentioned in the
       [52]press release) have not delivered the promised help yet
       (neither through Freexian nor directly).

   Last but not least, this project wouldn’t exist without the support of
   multiple companies and organizations. Many thanks to them:
     * Gold sponsors:
          + [53]The Positive Internet
     * Silver sponsors:
          + [54]AD&D – David Ayers – IntarS Austria
          + [55]Blablacar
          + [56]Domeneshop AS
          + [57]Evolix
          + [58]Université Lille 3
     * Bronze sponsors:
          + [59]Freeside Internet Service
          + [60]MyTux
          + [61]Offensive Security
          + [62]Seznam.cz, a.s.

   Hopefully this list will expand over time! Any help to reach out to new
   companies and organizations is more than welcome.

Links:
  44. http://www.freexian.com/services/debian-lts.html
  45. http://wiki.debian.org/LTS
  46. http://blog.alteholz.eu/2014/07/my-debian-activities-in-july-2014/
  47. http://blog.alteholz.eu/2014/08/my-debian-activities-in-august-2014/
  48. http://layer-acht.org/thinking/blog/20140819-lts-july-2014/
  49. http://layer-acht.org/thinking/blog/20140819-lts-august-2014/
  50. http://www.freexian.com/services/debian-lts.html
  51. http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/secure-testing/data/dla-needed.txt?revision=HEAD&view=co
  52. https://www.debian.org/News/2014/20140616
  53. http://www.positive-internet.com/
  54. http://www.intars.at/
  55. http://www.blablacar.fr/
  56. http://www.domainnameshop.com/
  57. http://www.evolix.fr/
  58. http://www.univ-lille3.fr/
  59. http://freeside.biz/
  60. http://www.mytux.fr/
  61. http://www.offensive-security.com/
  62. http://www.seznam.cz/

Thank you!
--
 Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/