Re: Missing openssl build for i386

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 12:53:34PM +1000, Matt Palmer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 10:45:25AM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > At Fri, 6 Jun 2014 08:04:38 +0200,
> > Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:

> > > Maybe the frequency of dinstall runs can be increased for the squeeze-lts
> > > suite (not sure if that's a per suite setting)
> >
> > What are the reasons for not using security.debian.org for the LTS
> > security updates? This was probably discussed on the old list, but I
> > wasn't subscribed there and the archives aren't public.
>
> I wasn't involved in the discussions, but my understanding from
> after-the-fact info is that security.d.o is (reasonably enough) quite locked
> down, and wasn't built for adding new suites as easily as the main archive.

Yes, that's correct. Releasing security updates for security.debian.org involves
shell access to an otherwise locked down system.

> Given that, at this stage at least, LTS is an experiment, spending the extra
> energy on making security.d.o up to the task wasn't considered reasonable.

There are plans to move the release process to a PGP-based system (roughly
similar to what is being used to grant Debian maintainers upload privileges
to a system). That involves some work, though and I don't think anyone is
currently on it. If anyone wants to work on this, I can provide more details.

Cheers,
        Moritz