Re: support for lsb 4.1 and lower

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 03:43:15PM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hi Keld,
>
> Le jeudi, 15 octobre 2015, 22.23:14 Keld Simonsen a écrit :
> > Would it be possible just to preserve the current LSB support,
> > just like many other distros do, and what is done in Debian 7.8?
>
> What is your precise use-case?

Well, there are different considerations.

I am associated with ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22, and their effort to update
the ISO 23360 LSB standard. For that effort it is good to know
what level of support LSB has in the various distributions.

I am myself doing a small Linux distro, keldix, which has not yet
been that succesful, but one of my ideas is to make most of the
packages dependent on LSB, so they can be used with other distros.
I would like Keldix packages to also be useable with Debian.

> So far, I've concluded that the half-baked LSB support that we currently
> have in Debian is not worth keeping, as it brings the wrong message
> forward. See the discussions starting from the following links:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/4526217.myWFlvm1rM@gyllingar
> https://lists.debian.org/4682310.7LIWdV4Lar@gyllingar
>
> The other problem is that there is (very) close to zero available
> manpower to maintain the "current LSB support" available in Debian;
> volunteers welcome!

Yes, I have read most of this, and also the mail on the lsb-discuss
list. I am a not-so-active participant in the LF LSB WG.

What would it take to become a DD, to maintain the LSB package?
I understand that there is already a package, and I installed
it on one of my Debian 7.8 systems.

My understanding from the LF LSB people is that the testing
of LSB has become easier, with LSB 5.0. I would be happy
both for the ISO effort and the Keldix LSB effort to have support
for what the current package suppports 2.0 - 4.1 - as this is also
what is supported in a number of other major distros.

Best regards
keld