Re: LSB woody test results

Jeff Licquia writes...

> I have begun running the LSB runtime test suite against woody, with the
> goal of identifying the current problems with woody.  My results will be
> placed at http://hackers.progeny.com/~licquia/lsb/.

Thanks! I'll add a link from my p.d.o page.

> One report, generated with tjreport, is there now.  It contains the
> results of running the 1.3.3 test suite against a minimal woody system.
> My initial impression is that missing packages prompted many of the
> problems, so my first job will be to generate a list of those packages.
> I also have the full report if anyone is interested.
>
> The report was generated via the following steps:
>
>  - Installed woody on a spare system (i386 P233, 64MB RAM, 2GB disk).
> The installation was bare-bones, with no running of tasksel or dselect.
> Non-US and security repositories were added at the appropriate places in
> the install, and updates installed from them.
>
>  - Built and installed a patched glibc, containing two patches not in
> glibc 2.2.5-11.5 from the security updates.  One patch includes the
> obsolete European currencies back into the standard locales; the other
> is a patch file written by Anthony Towns that incorporates some SuSE LSB
> patches.  This was necessary because the test suite does not even
> install properly without at least the obsolete currencies.  The specific
> packages installed from this glibc: libc6, libc6-dev, and locales.
>
>  - "apt-get install lsb wget less screen ssh"

You don't mention installing the lsb package, did you? If so which
version? I plan to setup an apt source for backported lsb packages so
that people can install the new 1.3 versions of stuff on woody. (but
separate from any backports needed to fix non-lsb packages, we'll
need to figure that out at some point)

The cpio and tar failures will go away by installing pax. The spec
requires posix versions of cpio and tar and the test suites will
happily use pax if available to fulfill that need. This is how other
distributions have been dealing with it and IMHO is rather stupid
but oh well. A dependency on pax has recently been added to the lsb
package to make this easier.

--
Matt Taggart
taggart@debian.org