Re: How to create a custom Debian ISO

Hello Aditya,

On 19/05/2024 13:45, Aditya Garg wrote:
I also happed to come across this guide https://www.willhaley.com/blog/custom-debian-live-environment/ <https://www.willhaley.com/blog/custom-debian-live-environment/>.

Is it worth trying? It's quite similar to Ubuntu ISOs.

Well, I'm biased here, being one of the maintainers of live-build... So I would suggest not to follow those steps, because you would re-implement a lot that is already performed by live-build, with the risk of falling into all the traps that have already been solved.

Those instructions strip down all the steps that live-build does down to the barest minimum. When using live-build, I suggest you use the git version (not the packaged version) as detailed on [1].

You will get:
* An installer in the boot menu (if you require that)
* Have a reproducible image (bit-for-bit identical if re-built at a later moment) * The benefit of using a package that is used by several distros instead of being the only distro using your own scripts, which means that there will be less bugs

With kind regards,
Roland Clobus

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleInstalls/LiveImages