Re: Live ISO Problem with filesystem

Hello,

On 27/05/2023 16:13, abraham.wick wrote:
I'm using live-build on Debian bullseye and was wondering if I can copy or even include larger files in the live system's overlay fs before it boots, so that they are writable?

I don't think I understand what you want to achieve.
When you have booted the ISO image, all files that are modified will automatically be put in the overlay layer due to copy-on-write. So all files are potentially writable (when you have the right file permission)

My solution:

  * add the files to includes.chroot

That's the correct way to add additional files into the ISO image.
Are the file permissions set properly? (write-access for the live-user, i.e. group or other?)

  * create boot-time hook in /etc/lib/live that copies the files into
    userspace upon boot

This works but takes time. Is there a way I can instantly have files already placed in the overlay fs at boot and thus be writable? (Without persistence)

If you copy the file upon boot, for every boot you will have a delay that corresponds to the time the copy command needs. If you didn't copy the file, that time will be needed only when the file is modified. Note that this copy will consume both time and memory.

With kind regards,
Roland Clobus