Re: Why is debian Live (11.2.0) advancing the time on my windows laptop +5 hours? ...

Hi,

i am one of those who sent Albretch Mueller here after pointing out
the conflict between MS-Windows and Linux about local time versus UTC
when reading and writing the hardware clock.

Roland Clobus wrote:
> I'm currently running Debian Live (snapshot of Debian unstable) on a laptop
> that has its date set to 14 days in the past. Its date does not
> automatically get updated, even after running for several hours.

The problem becomes visible when alternatingly booting MS-Windows and
Linux. (I once had it with Open Solaris and Debian.)

I am not sure how to simulate it with Linux-only.
Maybe by manipulating the hardware clock from the BIOS, then booting Live,
correcting the system time, and shutting down.
Then one would look in the BIOS whether the time took a leap.

Maybe it happens automatically at start or end of the kernel or maybe it
has something to do with the network environment. Like in
  https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/rtc.html
  "if the kernel time is synchronized with an external source,
   the kernel will write the time back to the CMOS clock every
   11 minutes."

Have a nice day :)

Thomas