Re: sources.list

On 2020-08-18 16:47, andy pugh wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 at 01:46, John Crawley <john@bunsenlabs.org> wrote:

I think you might be missing --mirror-binary and possibly (see 'man
lb_config') --mirror-binary-security lines in auto/config.

I am, but the docs seem to suggest that these are only relevant to the
build and live stages, and my concern was the as-installed
configuration.

It depends: if you're installing from the built live chroot, as we both are with the config '--debian-installer live', then
--mirror-binary determines what gets written to the installed system too.

Is there any point having access to a debian repository when running "live"?

Yes. It's quite reasonable for a live user to want to install something to the live system. Maybe some favourite system utility.

d-i passwd/root-login boolean false
--snip--
This seems to be the answer, as I mentioned earlier. It's not 100%
obvious that the way to get sudo is to preseed the root password

But not actually true. If you set a root password then you /dont/ get sudo enabled by default.

The above preseed makes the installer skip asking for the root password so sudo is enabled. If you'd rather leave the choice of root login vs sudo up to your users you can just omit that line.

the way to avoid having _no_ repository is to preseed a mirror.

My understanding is that if a mirror is not set statically in the preseeds then the user will be prompted for one.

In fact this line:
d-i apt-setup/use_mirror boolean true
is probably the default setting, so redundant.

Debian docs:
https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/apbs04.en.html

Exhaustive list of even the most obscure preseed options:
https://preseed.debian.net/debian-preseed/buster/amd64-main-full.txt

--
John