Re: Bug: Buster 10.0 Testing 20190617 Image LiveCD Will Not Boot

Hello Michael,

There was no key sequence to interrupt the splash screen

The kernel boot delay parameter was tried as suggested via
suggestions of replies I had via the
debian-live@lists.debian.org.  This despite my expecting to
have no effect on being able to see the boot messages flashing
past on the splash screen.  The kernel boot delay parameter did
delay the kernel boot, but has no effect on the original issue
of splash error messages flashing by very very quickly.  This
means I determined the real kernel boot parameter was
boot_delay and not the one suggested via reply to me via
debian-live@lists.debian.org.

The kernel boot delay parameter, the exact messages I
determined via my own technical efforts are in my replies to
debian-live@lists.debian.org.  Because the
debian-live@lists.debian.org does not have a related NNTP I
could not reply in manner that would place my replies with the
related message I was replying to.  You need to look at my
replies to see what I did, what I tried per suggestions, and
what I found as the live boot error messages.  For example my
replies to your messages are not being placed with my prior
replies to debian-live@lists.debian.org.

Be aware there were much more serious bugs, I do mean bugs, I
never mentioned nor posted that I suspect are deeper level of
issues with the live image boot.

I had no problem reproducing the issue as I reported to and
asked for assistance how to obtain the flashing error messages
on the splash screen.  The bug occurred 100% of time.

Testing via VM/KVM has limited value for most part.  I suggest
you refer to:

<https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2019/06/msg00040.html>
<https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianCD/ReleaseTesting/Buster_r0>

and my replies to debian-live@lists.debian.org as to why KVM/VM
testing of images is of limited scope/value.

PC based VM unlike IBM VM that has much much less reduction in
scope difference compared to bare metal instance of VM or OS
Guest under VM.  I made no mistake about VM under VM with IBM
VM.  It is very common for various reasons I will not get into
why instances and nested instances of VM are run under VM with
IBM VM. Likewise I will skip the VM in the hardware microcode of
last number of years that is another level of VM abstraction on
top of any IBM VM OS based IBM VM.  This unlike PC based VM
that is basically crude and temperamental compared to IBM VM
even of the 1980s.  IBM had VM as Operating System least by
early 1970s as a business OS environment choice for customers.
Most customers using VM also had one or more other IBM OSs
running under VM. I certain has systems experience from
technical, systems programming, and operations experience with
systems running 10, often more, VM guests on an instance of VM
let alone multiple VMs on different physical machines VM
communicating at VM level as easy as buying the same multiple
item in a store at same or different time/day.  At least as of
few years ago IBM VM was still able to boot and emulate IBM
CPUs from the 1960s just fine (had different PSWs for starters).

Do not assume the issues and testing that I did that lead to
the Buster LiveCD issue I reported and the more serious Buster
issues I reported were done on a laptop, let alone an AMD
E-350.  The fact is the Buster LiveCD boot issues were on
Lenovo hardware, that was not a laptop machine.  The more
serious Buster LiveCD boot issues likewise not on laptop.  The
Stretch LiveCD and prior to Stretch LiveCD boot images have had
a number of issues, some similar to the serious LiveCD boot bug
I have not reported and others persisted for few Major Debian
releases all while other Dabian based LiveCDs of respective
Debian release not having any LiveCD boot issues.  This means
for a number of years on various hardwarwe Debian releases
have had bugs of serious nature with the LiveCDs.

I understand the limited time Debian maintainers, et al have,
but to spend time wasting time and spinning on issues that
others clearly do have when faced with comparisons on exact
same hardware that do not have any issues is actually reducing
by orders of magnitudes these Debian peoples time and
productivity.  I dare say to point of little movement for
Debian as distribution and causing many to be turned away from
Debian as place to consider.  I can say that from the Buster
point of view I would not use buster as it has way too many
serious basic issues.  I have not reported these other
bugs/issues and will not waste my time trying to report.

As of this eMail I will not spend more time dealing with the
issue as I reported and asked for assistance to find the
error messages that flashed on the splash screen.

I wish you the best in the issues you wish to report.

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
11 July 2019 18:24

2019-07-11 21:27:22.236583311+0000-UTC Time:
1562880442.239757579

11 Jul 21:27:22 ntpdate[9817]: ntpdate 4.2.8p10@1.3728-o Sun
Feb 25 21:22:56 UTC 2018 (1)

11 Jul 21:27:36 ntpdate[9827]: step time server 132.246.11.227
offset -0.005288 sec

Linux 4.9.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.168-1 (2019-04-12)

Modified Debian GNU/Linux 9.9 (stretch)
(Alternative to Debian determined, work in progress)

cat /proc/cpuinfo (Selected):

model name	: AMD E-350 Processor

vmstat -s:

     16026156 K total memory
      7462292 K used memory
     13107036 K active memory
      1465060 K inactive memory
      1121912 K free memory
        59936 K buffer memory
      7382016 K swap cache
            0 K total swap
            0 K used swap
            0 K free swap
    189957226 non-nice user cpu ticks
     77103656 nice user cpu ticks
    232489899 system cpu ticks
    582013003 idle cpu ticks
      2681070 IO-wait cpu ticks
            0 IRQ cpu ticks
      5009761 softirq cpu ticks
            0 stolen cpu ticks
    306880449 pages paged in
     55217707 pages paged out
            0 pages swapped in
            0 pages swapped out
    749330804 interrupts
   2602289249 CPU context switches
   1557283473 boot time
    547412536 forks

/proc/vmstat (Selected):

pgpgin 306880449
pgpgout 55217707
pswpin 0
pswpout 0
pgfree 67739341875
pgfault 116367091499
pgmajfault 944674

/proc/meminfo (Selected):

Mlocked:             160 kB
VmallocTotal:   34359738367 kB
VmallocChunk:          0 kB
HugePages_Total:       0

vmstat --partition /dev/sda8 (Swap):

partition was not found

sar -b:

Linux 4.9.0-9-amd64 (debian) 	07/11/2019
_x86_64_	(2 CPU)

12:00:01 AM  pgpgin/s pgpgout/s   fault/s  majflt/s  pgfree/s
pgscank/s pgscand/s pgsteal/s    %vmeff

09:05:01 PM   2465.54      0.00  25578.34     15.52  17601.36
1370.44      0.00   1146.60     83.67 09:15:03 PM
5629.87      2.21  15255.68     28.42  12426.68   2968.83
0.62   2614.10     88.03 09:25:01 PM    559.82      3.79
34624.58      3.46  22633.22    376.50     12.01    172.93
44.51 Average:        70.92      0.18  22531.85      0.39
13006.09     39.84      0.10     33.09     82.85

ps -A:

%CPU  START   TIME  C CLS COMMAND             TIME  NI   PID
POL PRI    SZ   RSS    VSZ  SIZE  MAJFL  MINFL SCH STAT
TIME WCHAN

 0.0 May  8  52:00  0  TS kswapd0         00:52:00   0    35
TS   19     0     0      0     0      0      0   0 S
00:52:00 -

Message replied to: