apt-get install "Failed to fetch" "404 Not Found" IP ...

 For more than one good reason (among them an unreliable Internet
connection at times or simply not wanting to go online)

 I would like to run apt-get locally (or be able to functionally do
the same using dpkg or whatever). This is what I have in mind:

 1) use apt-get in simulate mode to know which files I need to install
and in what order

 2) fetch those files and keep them locally

 3) install them locally whenever I need to

 Most (all?) people simply go "sudo apt-get" under the assumption that
the back end repositories will be fine etc.

 Yes, I am trying to install stuff when I need it without having to
connect to the Internet

 How do you do this? What would be the pros and cons of doing things this way?

 lbrtchx