Re: Use of '--sudo' in vmdebootstrap; live-wrapper package

Phil wrote:

>In a previous mail I mentioned removal of '--lock-root-password'.
>
>On the same line (36) of 'vm.py' is the argument passed to
>'vmdebootstrap' of '--sudo'. Ok, according to the manual pages this
>will force the install of the 'sudo' package. Also if a user is
>created, it will add them to the 'sudo' group.
>
>However, under 'live-wrapper' I see no user creation at
>'vmdebootstrap' creation time, thus this leaves us with 'sudo'
>installed but any user created at install of the end result ISO image,
>not part of the 'sudo' group.
>
>I see the primary purpose of the correct usage is to create a username
>and password that can be used while running in live mode.
>
>Example:
>
>vmdebootstrap --user=debian/debian --sudo
>
>The above would create a user 'debian' with password 'debian' who can
>use 'sudo' whilst running in live mode; and it is probably this
>behaviour we would want?

Not really, no. There's a special live-specific sudo config file
/etc/sudoers.d/live which gives sudo rights to the live user without
password.

If you're trying to track down the su/sudo problem with the live
installer, that's somewhere different. The installer is meant to write
changes to the passwd/shadow/sudoers files at the end of the
installation, and that does't seem to be working. I've been too busy
in the last few days to look into that any deeper.

"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt