Re: how much storage space does a debian-live hd install need?

The answer to this depends on what you have in your live image. My current / partition on my desktop is 9.7 GB but I have 7 desktop environments (DE) and their associated applications available. If you have 1 DE I'd be surprised if you needed more than 4 GB although Gnome and KDE may push past that.