Re: shrinking the squashfs image size

Stefan Baur:
> I would like to run

> rm -rf squashfs-root/usr/share/doc/* squashfs-root/usr/share/locale/*
> squashfs-root/usr/share/man/*

> (the files in these directories are not relevant for my use case because
> there is only one single application running in full-screen mode, and no
> shell access for the user)

> before the squashfs is created.
> Where would I have to add that?

Either use a chroot local hook, or list these files to a SquashFS
exclude config file passed to mksquashfs via the -ef in
$MKSQUASHFS_OPTIONS.

> Also, I would like to run mksquashfs with additional parameters
> -b 1048576 -comp xz
> as that seems to shrink the image even further, thus reducing transfer
> times (even though RAM usage will probably be the same).

> Where would I specify that?

Use the MKSQUASHFS_OPTIONS environment variable.

FWIW, in Tails we determined experimentaly that these settings were
the most efficient in our case:

  -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -b 1024K -Xdict-size 1024K