Re: shrinking the squashfs image size

Hi,
Create file in config/hooks/normal/

e.g.  0112-remove-folders.hook.chroot with content:

#!/bin/sh
set -e
# Remove folders

rm -rf /usr/share/doc/*
rm -rf  /usr/share/locale/*
rm -rf  /usr/share/man/*

Дана Суб, 18. 2. 17, Stefan Baur <newsgroups.mail2@stefanbaur.de> је написао/ла:

 Тема: shrinking the squashfs image size
 За: debian-live@lists.debian.org
 Датум: Субота, 18. Фебруар, 2017. 14:14

 Hi $LIST,

 I would like to reduce the squashfs image size for a
 particular setup.
 Both to reduce transfer time when netbooting, and to reduce
 the amount
 of RAM used.

 I would like to run

 rm -rf squashfs-root/usr/share/doc/*
 squashfs-root/usr/share/locale/*
 squashfs-root/usr/share/man/*

 (the files in these directories are not relevant for my use
 case because
 there is only one single application running in full-screen
 mode, and no
 shell access for the user)

 before the squashfs is created.
 Where would I have to add that?

 Also, I would like to run mksquashfs with additional
 parameters
 -b 1048576 -comp xz
 as that seems to shrink the image even further, thus
 reducing transfer
 times (even though RAM usage will probably be the same).

 Where would I specify that?

 I searched
 https://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/live-manual/stable/manual/html/live-manual.en.html
 man lb_build
 man lb_config
 for "squashfs", but none of the hits seems relevant to my
 case.

 So far, I'm using unsquashfs once live-build is done, and
 run the
 commands manually (that's how I know I'm shaving about 60
 Megabytes off
 of the image with my changes), but I would prefer it if
 mksquashfs
 wouldn't have to run twice.

 Kind Regards,
 Stefan Baur