How to remount the root filesystem to increase available space?

This must be a really obvious thing, yet I couldn't find a solution for this for years... so I have to ask here.

Debian-live (Jessie) uses aufs for its root filesystem, and by default the amount of space available is half the total size of RAM. Sometimes I need more space, and I have plenty of RAM to spare. How to remount the root filesystem on-the-fly to increase the space available?

In Squeeze, I don't remember) that was very simple. I could easily see the location of the tmpfs mount for the rw branch of aufs, and simply remount it with any size I need:

sudo mount -o remount,size=6G /lib/live/mount/overlay

In Wheezy and Jessie, that does not work. I can see the "overlay" size changing, but the root filesystem does not change.

--
darkpenguin