Re: installing packages

I found that the most up-to-date documentation is the man pages and the scripts themselves! For example, some options in the online manual no longer work or defaults have changed, and there are some new things. The online manual you linked before is a little older but a fine piece of work when it comes to explaining the big picture:
http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/live-manual/stable/manual/html/live-manual.en.html

Before you invest too much into live-build, be aware that the live-wrapper package will be the new official way of building live images. I will be building my next live iso with it, when it has been approved by a Debian FTP master and released into the wild:
https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/live-wrapper_0.3.html
The NEW queue:
https://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html

That said, I have never used live-wrapper and it has some rather large boots to fill. Time will tell.

Kind regards,
Ben.