Re: installing packages

I think those instructions are out of date or not applicable to a USB stick (cdrecord is for one of those round plastic CD things from the olden days). If I recall correctly, the xorriso step is done by "lb build" when assembling the iso.

Just like any other Debian hybrid iso, you can use "dd" as root to write the iso image straight to a USB block device:

dd if=live-image-amd64.hybrid.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M

where "X" is "c" for the example you give. Just make *bloody* sure that you have the right output device file ("of") as the contents are overwritten by this command. Plug it in and check with "dmesg" to make sure you have the right one. Do not mount the USB stick before running "dd".

When "dd" has finished running, the USB stick should be bootable. The hybrid iso image contains the required boot loader and MBR partition table. live-build does not support UEFI boot so you will need a BIOS that supports MBR boot (legacy or compatibility mode). (UEFI support is one key reason for live-wrapper, a completely different package for building live images, waiting in the queue for inclusion in the Debian archive.)

Kind regards,
Ben.