Re: Demand for Debian Live with newer kernel

Am 02.01.2016 um 06:04 schrieb Iain R. Learmonth:
> On Sat, Jan 02, 2016 at 08:39:15AM +1100, Michael . wrote:
>> >    May I suggest you let the users decide? Produce two images 1 being
>> >    completely stable and the other being stable+backports and let the
>> >    users choose what they want to download. This would fit in very well
>> >    with Debian being "the universal operating system".
> For the reasons I gave, no. I'm not going to compromise the stability of the
> stable images because we've spent time on stable+backports images. Adding an
> extra image requires developer time.

One might want to point out that there are usually several options if
one desperately wants to see that happen, amongst them are:

- send patches and/or
- pay someone to do it

Even if no one from the debian-live/live-wrapper team is
willing/interested to do this, be it as a volunteer or for money, the
code is available under a free/libre license and there are quite a few
people with Linux skills that will code for money (I'm not one of them,
just saying I know such people ;-)).  So even if it takes them longer to
get it done than a debian-live/live-wrapper team member would need for
the same task, it is still an option one might want to consider.

-Stefan
(a mere user of debian-live, but PM of another F/LOSS project)