Re: Demand for Debian Live with newer kernel

Op 29-12-15 om 13:15 schreef U.Mutlu:
> Hi,
>
> there is demand for a Live version of stable, but with a recent kernel,
> ie. with a backported kernel.
>
> Rationale:
> Newer submodels (ANSI:6 vs. ANSI:5) of the popular Samsung 850 Evo SSDs
> do not work with the stock stable kernel 3.16; with kernel 4.2 from
> jessie-backports they work fine.

Never heard of that, interesting.

> But then the user who wants to do partition backup of course needs
> to boot from a live 4.2 kernel. So, there is demand for a live stable
> with a recent backported kernel.
>
> Asked differently: where can I find a stable live with a recent
> (backported) kernel?

What I do is installing the normal Debian stable on an USB stick, so no
debian-live. Then I install some packages from jessie-backports. You
could do that on another machine, or using chroot.

Maybe not exactly what you want, but it works very good!

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

https://www.vandervlis.nl/