Re: An abrupt End to Debian Live

I agree.

As a power user sitting on the sidelines, I've used Linux in some form since the days when you updated your distribution by sending a blank 10mb tape to sunsite.unc.edu and greeted the mailman every day thereafter until your new copy arrived. Since then, I've installed and used Slackware, Redhat (prior to CentOS), Mandrake/Mandrive, and Debian. I've installed from tape, from floppy, from CD and DVD, and now from USB.

I've pretty much settled on the Debian Live installation by choice, mostly because of its support for the third-party repository and the time savings in getting it to work on a range of [manufactured] [corporate] workstations, for which the alternative is to accept the version/license of Windows that comes with such a hardware platform. Microsoft can ship a single installation media that just works, and the Live DVD (and it's various live derivatives) aims for the exact same thing.

To tear up a long-standing unofficial release so broadly known throughout the Linux world over the implementation of a security architecture - more specifically, who has or wants the responsibility for implementing that new security architecture and/or who is going to get credit for it - is not the spirit of cooperation that exemplifies the biggest challenger to the Microsoft desktop. The computer world evolves, and up until now I've seen Debian evolve with it.

If Microsoft had known this is all it would take, I'm sure they would have done it much earlier.

Charlie