Progress, useful test build/boot notes & TODO
I wrote on my blog today about getting re-involved, what we've been
doing lately, some notes about test building and booting official live
images, and a pointer to the TODO on the wiki Iain wrote and I've added
some items to. I hope this is useful/inspiring to users and developers
Debian Live After Debian Live
After this happened, my next step was to get re-involved in Debian
Live to help it carry on after the loss of Daniel. Here’s a quick
update on some team progress, notes that could help people building
Stretch images right now, and what to expect next.
* Iain uploaded live-config, incorporating an important fix,
#bc8914bc, that prevented images from booting.
* I want to get live-images ready for an upload, including
#8f234605 to fix wrong config/bootloaders that prevented images
Test build notes
* As always, build Stretch images with latest live-build from Sid
* Build Stretch images, not Sid, as there’s less of a chance of
dependency issues spoiling the build, and that’s the default
* To make build iterations faster, make sure the config is modified
to not build source & not include installer (edit auto/config
before ‘lb config’) and use an apt caching proxy.
* Don’t forget to inject fixed packages (e.g. live-config) into each
config. Use apt pinning as per live-manual, or drop the debs into
Test boot notes
* Use kvm, giving it enough ram (-m 1024 works for me).
* For gnome-desktop and kde-desktop, use -vga qxl, or else the
desktop will crash and restart repeatedly.
* When using qxl, edit boot params to add qxl.modeset=1 (workaround
for #779515, which will be fixed in kernel >= 4.3).
* My gnome image test was spoiled by #802929. The mouse doesn’t
work (pointer moves, but no buttons work). Waiting on a new kernel
to fix this. This is a test environment related bug only, i.e.
should work fine on hardware. (Test pending.)
* The Stretch standard, lxde-desktop, cinnamon-desktop, xfce-desktop,
and gnome-desktop images all built and booted fine (except for the
gnome issue noted above).
* The Stretch kde-desktop and mate-desktop images are next on my list
to test, along with Jessie images.
* I’ve only tested on the standard and lxde-desktop images that if
the installer is included, booting from the Install boot menu
option starts the installer (i.e. didn’t do an actual install).
See the TODO in the wiki. We’re knocking these off steadily. It
will be faster with more people helping (hint, hint).