Re: prevent a package to be installed

How do you install XFCE? Is it by specifying 'task-xfce-desktop' as a package to install?

If that's what you do, this is where lightdm is being installed. "task" packages are collection of related packages. The idea is that installing one "task" package is easier than installing a bunch of packages you would have installed together anyway.

To install only what you want, install the individual packages. For example, task-xfce-desktop is described here: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/task-xfce-desktop

You'll see that it includes (ie: depends on) the following packages (plus a bunch other packages that are simply "recommended"):

  * lightdm
  * task-desktop
  * tasksel
  * xfce4

You can simply list those packages, minus lightdm, in your `config/package-lists/`, and you should get XFCE without lightdm.