Executing interactive script on boot

Hello,

I'm trying to build a custom live image and execute an interactive Perl script on boot. Previously I was just adding my script to /etc/rc.local but systemd seems to have taken over STDOUT and STDIN for that. I'm not very familiar with systemd yet so I followed a blog posting[1] on executing interactive scripts on boot and configured my live CD that way. That kind of works in that I see the output of my script but the boot process continues and I eventually end up at a console login prompt.

Just wondering if there's a more effective way to run an interactive script on boot when configuring your own live CD?

Thanks,
Keith

[1] https://alan-mushi.github.io/2014/10/26/execute-an-interactive-script-at-boot-with-systemd.html