Breaking out of the chroot jail in a chroot hook

Hello there,

As the title suggests: is it possible to break out of the chroot jail where chroot hooks are executed?

My use case: there's a significantly large file I want to include as part of my custom distro. To keep the build scripts short and git-manageable, I'd like to download this file from the Internet and store it in the `cache/` directory. This will save me repeat downloads after each build. Any ideas of how I can manage that?

My alternative ideas so far (haven't tried any yet):

  * Run a simple HTTP server on the `auto/build` script, serving files from `cache/`, which can then be downloaded from the chroot hook

  * Download/cache the file from `auto/build`, generate a deb package with it, leave it at `config/packages.chroot/`

Both sound a bit crazy, so I was wondering if it's possible with just that chroot hook!

Thank you,

--
Pablo Brasero Moreno
pablo@pablobm.com