Cannot create UEFI bootable USB image from lb 4.0.3 on Debian 9

I've been trying to create a Debian live image that will boot via UEFI, but haven't been able to do so. My live-build host VM runs Debian 9 (stretch), with live build 4.0.3-1. I noticed that bug #731709 is open [1], but no mention is made of an upcoming fix.

The config structure I'm using is here: https://github.com/detly/live-test

I tried to see whether any combination of recent distros and bootloaders would work, but no luck. The table below shows the results of imaging a USB stick with the resulting image (where possible) and attempting to boot from it.

Target: wheezy
  syslinux: no
  iso-hybrid: no

Target: jessie
  syslinux: error
  iso-hybrid: no

Target: stretch
  syslinux: error
  iso-hybrid: no

In the table, "no" means "doesn't boot via UEFI". That is, it shows up in the boot device menu (in my case, the menu that comes up when holding F7 at boot), but attempting to boot it simply sends me to my regular GRUB2 installation. I'm sorry I don't have an error message, but I don't know enough about UEFI booting to get one. The "error" entries in the table means I can't actually create the image due to bug #773833 [2].

I'm only doing this on one machine, my laptop, which has separate BIOS/UEFI booting; that is, if I want to boot in BIOS mode I have to change a setting via the pre-boot menu. It's a Metabox machine, with an American Megatrends BIOS (1.03.05) and WA50SJQ board.

Is there any way to get UEFI booting to work with live build? Is it supported in versions > 4? Is there a workaround or quick hack I could use? Am I doing something wrong?

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=731709
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=773833

Cheers,
Jason