Re: live-image jessie?

Eric,

- What version of live-build did you use? To build jessie live images, please use live-build from jessie.

- Did you start from a clean working directory? The live-image .gitignore hides stale configuration files and links that caused problems for me when switching distribution.

- Are you building on a filesystem that supports exec and devices? Not tmpfs or vfat.

- What error did you see?

I was able to build jessie xfce4-desktop amd64 to my satisfaction. The build was hosted on sid amd64. I used live-build 4.0.3-1 with the commands listed below. For me the process took about 20 minutes and, IIRC, something like 6 GB of storage, with downloads over ADSL2+.

Notes:

- the --distribution option defaults to jessie and is not needed for live-build 4.0.3-1 (I like to be explicit)

- the --memtest option enables memtest86+, which is now disabled by default and thus missing from the official live images for jessie: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=783741

-- the --source option disables building of the source iso, which for some reason is enabled for amd64

- the --mirror-* options select my preferred mirror; note that the documentation is out of date with two documented options no longer supported

- the custom package list adds hdparm, which is missing from the official live images for jessie: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=783664

# as an ordinary user
git clone git://live-systems.org/git/live-images.git
cd live-images/images/xfce-desktop
lb config \
  --distribution jessie \
  --memtest memtest86+ \
  --source false \
  --mirror-bootstrap http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ \
  --mirror-chroot-security http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian-security/ \
  --mirror-binary http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ \
  --mirror-binary-security http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian-security/
cat > config/package-lists/my.list.chroot <<EOF
hdparm
EOF
# last step must be run as root
lb build