Re: Solution to extra space with Windows..

On 4/10/2015 12:28 PM, Eric Nichols (DirWiz) wrote:
I think I have a working solution to Windows not recognizing an extra
partition on the USB drive.

In windows the new second partition is ignored.  In linux it comes up as
a CD-rom image.

Failed to boot when I tried it. I used FAT32 for the first partition, ext4 for the second, and added a third ext4 partition for persistence. Using gparted, I set the boot flag on the second partition and dd'd the iso to that partition.

(Asus K53E laptop, American Megatrends BIOS, recent jessie build using online cgi-builder)

As an alternative to your proposal, to avoid needing an additional USB drive for safe file transfer to windows, I've been extracting the iso contents to a FAT drive using 7-zip and making it bootable with syslinux. Works with wheezy, haven't tried with jessie. Can't get persistence file to work on FAT, though.